Summer 2012 Follow the Leader Newsletter
Executive Director’s Report
The ripple effect of our mission in Leadership Columbus is impossible to capture in a newsletter all of you busy people have time to ready — so we’ve taken our “highlighter” to a few “need to know” items but look for more frequent communiques from us as we have switched web hosts and can now more easily stay in contact with you.
The Bicentennial Class (2012) was an amazing class — 59 engaged, passionate and determined alumni who are making a huge difference already in our community. Click here for the list of graduates.
Also, we cannot keep up with the People on the Move, Awards and Board Appointments that all of you are accomplishing — but we’re doing our best! Please send Max Moore an email (email@example.com) with any changes to your professional affiliations and community trusteeship activities so we can keep track of you and recognize your achievements.
One more thing — the Board of Leadership Columbus is embarking on a strategic planning process that will guide our mission and vision for the next 3-5 years. This is an exciting time for us and don’t be surprised if we call on you to help with feedback – after all, you know us better than anyone and we value your input!
Have a wonderful rest of the summer and we will be in touch again, soon! Stay cool!
Congratulations to our 2012 Bicentennial Class!
Leadership Columbus graduated 59 community leaders during a beautiful spring day on June 7. The Bicentennial Class of 2012 is the 38th Leadership Columbus class and these diverse individuals represent a multitude of organizations including local companies, non-profits and public and private sector employers. We salute you on your accomplishments and welcome you to the LC Alumni family!
Class of 2013 Selected
We are pleased to announce the following members of the Class of 2013. Based on their qualifications and commitment to the community, these individuals were selected to participate in our 10-month Signature program. Click here to see the class roster.
5th Annual Best Party, Ever!
SAVE THE DATE! April 4, 2013 — for our fifth annual Best Party, Ever! We have moved this celebration from the summer months (thank goodness we are not outside partying in this heat) and are excited to announce that we will be announcing our Hall of Fame inductee, our Corporate Angel and the Walk the Talk Award at the new ShadowBox Live Theatre in April. Stay tuned for more information.
People on the Move
- Christie Angel (’95) has been named chief of staff for external affairs and services for Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman’s office. This is a return to City Hall for Angel, having worked as Coleman’s legislative aide when he served on City Council and as deputy chief of staff for internal opertations during Coleman’s first term as mayor.
- David Brehm (’95) has joined Braun & Steidl Architects as director of architecture.
- Greg Davies (’11) has been selected as Director of the Columbus Department of Public Utilities.
- Betsy McCabe (’11) has been named director of the Women’s Leadership Council for the United Way of Central Ohio. McCabe was formerly with Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Central Ohio.
- Chris O’Shaughnessy (’11) has started the law firm of Welin, O’Shaughnessy & Scheaf LLC. O’Shaughnessy was formerly an attorney with Thompson Hine LLP.
- Ken Paul (’08) has been named chief of staff for Columbus City Council
- Teri Slick (’07) of Messer Construction has been promoted to the position of Healthcare Vice President.
- Otto Beatty III (’99), co-owner of E.E. Ward Moving & Storage, has been appointed to the Small Business Council of the Columbus Chamber of Commerce. In addition, he was also selected by Mayor Michael B. Coleman to represent the city at the White House Business Council and Business Forward forum.
- Dr. Robert Crane (’92), the clinical assistant professor of family medicine at OSU, has received the 2011 Public Health Award from the American Academy of Family Physicians.
- Al Lucas (’97), a senior litigation partner in Calfee Halter & Griswold’s Columbus office, was been awarded one of the 2012 Client Service All-Star by the BTI Consulting Group Inc. In-house counsel from around the country were asked to name attorneys who provided great client service.
- Roger Rill (’83), president of the Ohio Society of Notaries, received the national Exceptional American Notary award from the Dallas-based American Association of Notaries. This award was given in recognition of Rill’s efforts to improve notary competence in Ohio and update the statewide notary system to better protect the public trust.
- Mark Beebe (’12) has been selected by the Columbus Speech & Hearing Center as the director of member services and business analyst.
- Vladimir Belo (’11)has been named commissioner of the Court of Claims Ohio by the Ohio Supreme Court. Belo is currently a partner with law firm Bricker & Eckler.
- Suzanne Coleman-Tolbert (’92) has been elected to the board of directors of Maryhaven. Coleman-Tolbert is the current president and CEO of the Central Ohio Workforce Investment Corp.
- Darci Congrove (’03), the managing director of GBQ, has been appointed to the Columbus-Franklin County Finance Authority board of directors.
- Christian Coughlin (’11) has become a new board member of the After-School All-Star Ohio non-profit organization.
- Diana Riggsby Gardner (’04) of Dispatch Printing Co. has joined the board of Access HealthColumbus as the business representative.
- Aaron Granger (’08) of Ice Miller LLP has joined the Living Beyond Autism Advisory Board.
- Stephanie Lorenz (’11) has been appointed the Vice Chairman of the board for After-School All-Star Ohio.
- Chris O’Shaughnessy (’11) has started Welin, O’Shaughness & Scheaf LLC, a new law firm with partners from his previous firm. In addition, O’Shaughnessy has also joined the After-School All-Star Ohio board.
- Gil Peri (’11) has been elected to the After-School All-Star Ohio board.
- Rylan Rawlins (’11) has been selected to join the After-School All-Star Ohio board.
- Roger Sugarman (’89) has been named chair of the metropolitan board of trustees of the YMCA of Central Ohio. Sugarman is currently a director with Kegler, Brown, Kill & Ritter.